This blog has been taken from England Furniture’s website. “England Furniture Care and Maintenance.” Dated December 20, 2011 Author England Furniture
FACTS ABOUT LEATHER FURNITURE
Some Facts about Leather Furniture:
Leather furniture often has the reputation of being costly and difficult to maintain. However, there are some facts that dispute this reputation. When you are looking into purchasing new leather furniture for your home, here are some things you may want to keep in mind before making your final decision.
– Leather is not as costly as you may think. Although leather can make you feel like you have a bigger budget than you actually do, depending on the retailer, it can be somewhat affordable. Conduct thorough research and look into different furniture retailers before you completely rule out the option of purchasing leather furniture.
– Leather furniture is an investment. With proper maintenance a quality piece of leather furniture can last a lifetime! Leather is made from natural materials and, as opposed to fabric furniture – it can gain character as it ages. Even if you are interested in purchasing leather furniture that may be a little out of your price range, think of how long a piece of fabric furniture lasts compared to leather furniture. Although you may be spending a little more money than you may have expected to pay now, it could result in you spending less money on replacement furniture in the future.
– Leather is not extremely difficult to maintain. If you keep your leather furniture clean, and apply a leather conditioner 2 – 3 times a year, you can keep your leather furniture looking as good as new for years. If you do have a minor spill or accident simply take a dry, lint free cloth and wipe it clean. Daily maintenance for leather could include such items as dusting or using a vacuum. Try to avoid harsh cleaners that are not approved to use on leather.
– There are leather alternatives available for those who want the look and feel of leather furniture but are worried that genuine leather furniture could not be properly maintained. Protected leather is more durable and is resistant to damage that could be caused by cats, dogs, or children. It can often be easier to clean than real leather. However this option does not have the same aging character as genuine leather furniture so it could be costly to replace in the future.
Leather furniture has a somewhat intimidating reputation of being a luxury item that is expensive and difficult to maintain. However, before you disregard the purchase of leather furniture discover all the facts by exploring one of England Furniture’s websites.
This article is taken from Sleep Savvy Magazine (Posted by Jasmine Wood on August 22, 2017)
While college life can be a wonderful and exciting new adventure, it does come with its share of challenges. Academic, financial, personal, and social stressors on top of a new environment and a hectic schedule mandate students’ vigilance in putting their physical and emotional health first and foremost.
WHY IS SLEEP SO IMPORTANT TO A COLLEGE STUDENT?
Unfortunately, irregular sleep schedules can lead to inadequate sleep and daytime sleepiness, which plaque many college students and put them at greater risk for the many consequences of sleep deprivation, including;
Impaired immune systems
Increased obesity risk
Inability to focus
Poor mood, irritability
Accidents and injuries
Increased risk of academic failure
Risk taking behaviors
WHAT CONSTITUTES SUFFICIENT SLEEP?
One of the fundamental requirements for a successful college experience is sufficient sleep. For teenagers through age 17 that is in the eight to ten hour range per night, while younger adults age 18 and older require seven to nine hours of sleep per night. Adherence to these guidelines is critical as adequate sleep is essential for optimal functioning and general well-being.
HOW CAN I GET THE SLEEP I NEED IN A DORM ROOM?
Adhering to a consistent bedtime routine, avoiding all nighters, powering down electronics at least 30 minutes before bedtime, and even setting a bedtime alarm to avoid bedtime procrastination are some helpful sleep strategies to employ. For optimizing your sleep environment, consider the following:
1. SLEEP SURFACE. If you have a dorm room issued mattress that looks like it has seen better days, you may want to consider a new one. If replacing the mattress is not an option, consider investing in a mattress topper. It may be just the thing to make a dorm issued mattress “sleepable.” Mattress toppers are available in a variety of materials ranging from latex to memory foam to wool, and can easily provide an extra layer of support and added comfort.
2. A BED FOR YOUR HEAD. A comfortable pillow that suits your preferred sleeping position is essential. Pillows should be slightly thinner for back and stomach sleepers or slightly thicker for side sleepers. Although we don’t advocate studying in bed, sometimes cramped living quarters necessitate that your bed becomes a study zone-in which case, a larger pillow or a back rest can help keep you comfortable in a sitting position.
3. SHEETS. Depending on the climate and draftiness of the dorm room, colder climates may call for some cozy flannel sheets, while warmer climates may warrant those that wick away moisture.
4. NOISE. You need peace and quiet for sleeping and studying, and sometimes dorms can be the last place where you find peace and quiet. Noise cancelling headphones can help. Earplugs should always be within arm’s reach, and white noise machines can be quite effective in drowning out unwanted noise. An extra throw rug or two will also absorb sound and help keep noise levels down.
5. LIGHT. Sleep masks are an easy way to make your sleep environment as dark as possible to help ensure your best sleep. They are great for midday napping, and they also come in handy when your roommate has different sleep and wake times than you. Blackout curtains or shades will help keep that morning light out when it is not quite time for class. If curtains are provided, some chip clips can help close the gaps that let in light when you are trying to get that all-important sleep.
6. SCENT. Some lavender may be just the thing to relax you and help you drift off to sleep. A 2006 study involving 42 female college students found that lavender aromatherapy had a beneficial effect on insomnia and depression, while a small study published in 2012 found nighttime exposure to lavender relieved sleepiness upon awakening.
7. TEMPERATURE. A fan can help keep the room cool as well as provide some white noise, while an extra blanket or two can come in handy if your roommate prefers a colder sleep environment.
8. DO NOT DISTURB. We’re talking sleep here- but don’t hesitate to hang a Do-Not-Disturb sign.
9. BED PLACEMENT. To reduce noise as much as possible, place beds as far from the front and bathroom doors.
10. QUIET REMINDERS. Consider hallway signage that politely reminds 2 AM partygoers that dorm residents are sleeping. Sometimes a friendly reminder will help keep the noise down when other students are trying to get the sleep they need.
SHOW A LITTLE RESPECT.
It’s great for everyone to respect the need for sleep-in yourself and in others. Showing your roommate and hall mates consideration when they are trying to get some shut-eye may cause them to pay back the kindness.
YOU HAVE A PACKED SCHEDULE BUT DON’T FORGET TO SCHEDULE SOME SLEEP.
Consistently getting sufficient sleep is critical for learning, for focus, for helping you cope with stress, for a healthy weight-for your physical and emotional health-and for optimal cognitive functioning. Getting the best sleep possible will go far in helping you make the most of your college experience.
Customers are often confused about the different mattress sizes available. Here is a quick reference guide to determine the size you have now and if you could upgrade to a bigger size set. A mattress that is too small can be uncomfortable to sleep on night after night.
Please note that these sizes are industry standards. Sizes are approximate and might vary +/- 1/2 inch.
Twin – 38 x 74.5 Most commonly used in children’s beds and bunk beds.
Twin Extra Long – 38 x 79.5 Any twin adjustable would use a twin extra long mattress. This size is most common in college dorms.
Full (also called Double) 53 x 74.5
Queen 60 x 79.5
King 76 x 79.5 A king set is always two twin extra long foundations. The top mattress can be one standard king mattress or two twin extra long mattresses.
California King 72 x 83.5
Hope this helps you with making your next mattress purchase a comfortable one!
Information in this blog has been taken from Mohawk’s SmartStrand Forever Clean Brochure.
Now introducing SmartStrand Forever Clean, the first carpet to combine built-in stain protection with a nanotechnology spill shield. Using the most advanced fiber innovation, SmartStrand Forever Clean carpets offer the highest level of beauty, comfort and performance available.
Proprietary carpet protection system: The best way to avoid stains altogether is to keep dirt and spills from settling into the carpet and becoming a stain. SmartStrand Forever Clean features Nanoloc, an advanced nanotechnology that completely encapsulates the SmartStrand fiber to create a superior spill and soil barrier.
Up to 3x easier to clean: SmartStrand Forever Clean simply does not hold onto dirt. Through independent vacuum testing, SmartStrand Forever Clean has been shown to release up to 3X more dirt than other carpets. That means you can breathe easy knowing that your floor cleans faster, better and easier than ordinary carpets.
Permanent built-in stain protection: SmartStrand Forever Clean is the only carpet with lifetime stain resistance built into the core of the fiber. Other carpets use temporary, topical protections that wash and wear off over time, which makes the carpet difficult to clean.
The truth about stain protection: SmartStrand Forever Clean is the ONLY carpet that contains permanent, built-in stain and soil protection that never washes or wears off.
SmartStrand Forever Clean with built-in protection: SmartStrand Forever Clean uses a completely different stain protection system that’s built into the fiber’s core. This means SmartStrand Forever Clean never loses its stain resistance and is the easiest carpet to clean time after time.
Live life worry free: Whether it’s kids, pets or one of life’s unexpected spills, with SmartStrand Forever Clean you can live life without worrying about your carpet.
Durability in the fiber’s DNA: Carpet adds beautiful warmth and comfort to a room like no other floor covering. SmartStrand Forever Clean lets you enjoy this comfort with long-lasting peace of mind.
Entirely new category of luxury soft carpet: One of the unique attributes of carpet is its natural softness, but not all carpets are sink-your-toes-in soft. If you’re looking for a super soft carpet, SmartStrand Silk Forever Clean will exceed your expectations. Achieving the soft, luxurious feel of SmartStrand Silk Forever Clean requires a new yarn with 3X the amount of fiber found in ordinary soft nylon carpets.
The next generation of sustainable carpet: SmartStrand Forever Clean is made in part with annually renewable plant-based materials that minimize our usage of limited natural resources. This also enables us to reduce our energy consumption in the manufacturing of all SmartStrand Forever Clean carpets. It’s good to know you can have the beauty, softness and durability you desire in a carpet without compromising the beautiful earth around us.
A 65 year quest results in the ultimate carpet: Throughout the years, the industry has strived to achieve a carpet that is both long-lasting and stain-resistant. New SmartStrand Forever Clean is now the toughest, easiest to clean carpet on the planet.
STOP IN TO WILSON CARPET AND FURNITURE AND SEE THE MOHAWK SMARTSTRAND CARPET FOR YOURSELF!
Information is from the LaZBoy Recliner Collection Spring and Summer 2016 Brochure
Only LaZBoy recliners give you all of these exclusive features.
The most reclining positions. Back and leg rest work together or operate independently for 18 optimum levels of comfort.
Total body and lumbar support. Provides complete support to the entire body in all positions… even while reclining.
Secure 3 position locking footrest. Offers a choice of comfort that locks in place for safety and support.
Patented LaZBoy mechanism. Allows the seat and back to move together for natural reclining movement.
Adjustable reclining tension. Personalize the effort needed to ease into a reclining position based on individual body type.
Strongest frame construction. Patented 4 sided unibody frame design that’s quality engineered for lasting durability.
When it comes to choices in recliners – LaZBoy’s the answer!
Rocker recliners – Rock your socks off! Rock and recline with total body and lumbar support at all times. Three position locking leg rest offers long-lasting support. Patented LaZBoy mechanism for the smoothest reclining motion.
Wall recliners – Get close to the wall! Full reclining comfort with space saving convenience. Adjustable settings to customize your reclining comfort. Exclusively engineered for the smoothest reclining movement.
Power recliners – Turn on the power! Power controlled reclining to any position for personalized comfort. Effortlessly go from upright to fully reclined in just six seconds. Quiet and stable base for smooth reclining operation.
Glider recliners – Swivel and glide! Smooth, level gliding motion perfect for watching TV. Standard 360 degree base takes comfort full circle. Exclusive base designed for superior stability and support.
Lift chairs – Give yourself a lift! Power assisted control to sit, stand or recline smoothly and easily. Available with soothing heat and an optional massage feature. Easy-to-use hand-held control for simple operation.
Designer’s Choice – Style meets comfort! Great looking styles with hidden reclining comfort. Choices of distinctive high leg and low profile designs. Available in fashionable fabrics and top grain leathers.
ALL RECLINERS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL. CHOOSE THE ONE AND ONLY LAZBOY RECLINER.
This information has been taken from LaZBoy’s tear sheet about their iClean fabric.
Spills happen but stains do not have to! LaZBoy offers a high-performance fabric called iClean which is perfect for homes with children, pets and everyday life. This iClean fabric is available on most LaZBoy styles so you can feel comfortable with your furniture. You can protect your furniture from life’s everyday mishaps such as coffee, wine, salsa, dirt and chocolate syrup.
iCLEAN IS STAIN-RESISTANT
This innovative technology surrounds each fiber to repel spills before they become stains.
iCLEAN IS EASY TO CLEAN
For most spills, simply blot with a paper towel; for tougher spills, use a mild soap and water mixture.
iCLEAN IS SOFT-TO-THE TOUCH.
iClean fabrics have a luxurious feel with exceptional comfort and are available in a wide selection of colors and patterns.
3 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
The iClean fabrics are quality backed and stay looking and feeling great, so you can relax knowing you’re covered.
BASIC CARE & CLEANING OF iCLEAN FABRICS
Liquid spills: Blot fabric surface immediately with a cloth or towel. Use a soap/water mixture to clean stained area in a circular motion. Use a clean, damp cloth to remove any soap residue; do not saturate. Pat with a dry towel or allow to air dry.
Non-liquid spills: Gently lift spilled material with a damp cloth or butter knife. Use the above instructions, cleaning in a circular motion.
TO LEARN MORE ABOUT LAZBOY’S iCLEAN, A COMPLETE LIST OF SPILLS COVERED AND EXCLUSIONS VISIT LAZBOY.COM/iCLEAN .
Memory foam mattresses may or may not be a good fit for you and your sleep needs. Let’s take a look at memory foam and what it can and cannot do for you.
Memory foam was developed in 1966 by NASA. It was called “slow spring back foam” at first because it was the first foam that retained the shape of the object that had applied the pressure to it. It later became known as ‘temper foam” because of its temperature sensitive qualities — a warm object can create more of an impression and create a cocoon effect around the object. Memory foam was first used to improve pilot safety in event of a crash but the medical industry soon started using it in mattress pads to help with bed sores in immobile patients. By the end of the 1980’s the foam was starting to appear in many products including sports equipment. In 1991, a Swedish foam manufacturer started to use it in their mattresses. This Swedish foam manufacturer later became known as Tempur-Pedic. These new mattresses were not well received at first but in just over 20 years, the company has become one of the largest bedding manufacturers in the world.
Making memory foam is a complex procedure. It all starts with polyurethane foam (viscoelastic) and depending on the chemicals added, can be used for anything from car parts to mattresses. Gases are added to the procedure to make a mattress. The gases make the foam bubble which creates a more open cell structure. By controlling the sizes of the bubbles, manufacturers can create mattresses with varying degrees of firmness.
Memory foam has become popular in mattresses because it is energy absorbent and very responsive to heat. The mattresses conform to your shape and support your body weight. For people who have chronic pain, memory foam mattresses can be very beneficial. It’s responsiveness to heat can make it feel warmer than a traditional innerspring mattress. Memory foam mattresses also have little to no motion transfer which is especially nice for couples.
Many people feel that the temperature and weight sensitivities of memory foam mattresses deliver extraordinary comfort and relieve the body of stress and strain during sleep. Memory foam may be a good choice for your new mattress if:
Memory foam may not be a good choice for you if:
You might want to consider a hybrid mattress which is a combination of traditional innerspring and memory foam. Most of the memory foams used are gel infused which allows you to customize your sleep experience.
The Serta iComfort Memory Foam and hybrid mattresses have a 180 day sleep trial. If you purchase one of the qualifying sleep trial mattresses and decided you made the wrong selection, you can reselect within 180 days.
The Tempur-pedic Memory Foam mattresses have a 90 days sleep trial subject to Tempur-pedic’s sleep trial policy.
Making the decision that you or a loved one needs a lift chair is never easy. Most of the time the person needing the lift chair is reluctant to admit to needing or wanting one. Here are some tips and ideas that you may want to consider:
The primary purpose of a lift chair is to help someone stand up and get out of the chair. Lift chairs can also help someone to find a comfortable position to sit or lay but the primary use is to lift someone to a standing or semi standing position so they can get out of the chair.
If you or your loved one can get in and out of a chair with ease but cannot operate the reclining mechanism or get comfortable in a normal recliner, a power recliner would be a good alternative to a lift chair. A power recliner also operates electronically and you can control the movement of the footrest and back portion of the recliner.
Ask Your Doctor or Care Provider
It is easy for a person to become dependent on the assistance offered by a lift mechanism. Key muscles in the legs, hips and lower back will no longer be used to get up and out of the chair. It is important for your family doctor or care provider to be involved in the decision to purchase a lift chair.
Choosing Your Chair
Lift chairs are available in a variety of sizes from small petite to larger styles. They have an easy to use hand held control for simple operation. Some models are available with soothing heat and massage.
A lot of customers are interested in sectionals. Sectionals are great but they can quickly fill up a room and also do not allow a lot of furniture rearranging.
You will need to figure out if a sectional will fit in your space. The average starting size of a sectional is 8 feet by 8 feet. Measure out your space and see if this will block any doors or allow you to have an end table at either end. If you would like to expand either way, simply add 2 feet for each additional seat you would like to add. Keep in mind most people like to sit at an arms length away from the person seated next to them. This would affect how many people you can sit on the sectional comfortably. Take a look at how close together your family sits now and use that as your gauge for the sectional.
Think about where your tv is in the room and this will influence how you will use your sectional. You may need more seats facing the tv. You will need to decide if you want tables on each end of your sectional with perhaps a light source on each. Tables and lights still provide function and can complement the sectional. It all depends on your lifestyle and how you plan to utilize the room.
There are several popular sectional options:
(1) Reclining – Both ends can recline and, depending on how many seats you have, some of the armless seats can be reclining. You will need to assure that when one person has their recliner in use, it does not interfere with another reclining piece on the sectional. Reclining sectionals give people a chance to put their feet up comfortably. They work best when the reclining seats face directly towards the tv.
(2) Console – These are pieces that can be added between any number of seats to provide storage, drink holders or a place to rest your arms. Consoles also work best when facing the tv.
(3) Curved Wedge – These are the pieces that make the turn and allow an extra seat. The curved wedge usually takes up an extra 2 feet more space than a square corner wedge.
(4) Stationary – Can provide flexibility and offers a variety of options. Most people find it more comfortable to stretch out and lay down on a stationary piece of furniture. You can also mix in a bench or large ottoman in front of the sectional.
(4) Chaise – Chaises are a great option for either end of your sectional. They can be used on both stationary and reclining sectional ends. Chaises allow people to stretch their legs out without having to put up the footrest. Chaises should be positioned facing the tv to get the most use out of them.
(5) Snuggler – Some sectionals come with a wedge shaped end called a snuggler. It is ideal for anyone who likes to curl up while reading or watching tv.
We can custom order your sectional to fit your room. Stop and see us at Wilson’s and we can show you the many fabrics and choices available to you and your family.
Information for this blog has been taken from Serta’s iSeries and iComfort brochure published in 2014.
Words in italics is information provided by Wilson Carpet and Furniture that apply to their store.
GET MORE FROM YOUR SLEEP SYSTEM
An adjustable foundation can help promote a more comfortable, rejuvenating sleep with your Serta mattress. Your bed is more than a place to sleep; it is the center of your life. Whether you are relaxing, working on your computer, helping kids with homework or just watching tv, an adjustable foundation can provide comfort and convenience to your life.
EASE BACK, NECK AND SHOULDER PAIN
Elevating your head and feet with the Zero Gravity setting can help alleviate pressure on your lower back, allowing your muscles to relax after a long day. Because your muscles don’t have to work through the night, you can wake up more relaxed and with less pain.
We show three different adjustable bases on our showroom floor. The Motion Essentials which is a wired remote with 2 preprogrammed positions and no massage. It is usually sold with Perfect Sleepers. The Motion Perfect is a wireless remote and has 4 preprogrammed positions and also massage. The Motion Custom also is a wireless remote with preprogrammed positions, massage and also can play music, has lumbar support, and charging stations. The Motion Perfect and Motion Custom are typically sold with the iSeries and iComforts. All adjustable bases are available in twin xl, full, queen and king.
Elevating your head and feet can also help to increase blood flow to your muscles. This can help reduce tossing and turning and can lead to a deeper, more restful sleep.
REDUCE ACID REFLUX
Slightly raising your head can also help reduce uncomfortable acid reflux, helping you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep throughout the night.
With an adjustable foundation, you can adjust the position of your head to help open up airways and help reduce snoring.
A QUICK LOOK AT OTHER ADJUSTABLE FEATURES:
The Wall Saver ensures your sleep set stays in position as you adjust your foundation. You stay close to your night stand and can use your current headboard. The Free Motion Design ensures maximum safety and minimizes pinch points. The exclusive Zip Fit attachment system means your mattress matches seamlessly to the base and makes it easy to change your bed linens. There is a full range of accessories available from different leg height options to headboard brackets and casters. The Motion Perfect and Motion Custom foundations have a lift capacity of up to 400 pounds for twin, 450 for full, 500 pounds for queen and 400 pounds per side with a king set. They also have a zero clearance design which allows the foundation to easily fit into a platform frame or sleigh bed. The battery backup ensures you can adjust your foundation to the flat position in the event of a power outage. The sleek wireless hand control has LED backlighting for easy day or night use.